Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blissful break



I've been dealt rather a complicated hand in 2011, and although I do believe we will come out ok at the end, the middle bit is less than fun.

So, my awesome dh insisted I take a few days and go and have some R&R. So off to Barrington Tops I did go for some peace & quiet. Apart from the fighter jets breaking the sound barrier 5 times yesterday, and a couple of boys chasing ducks around my cabin, it was bliss. Wallabies came to visit me, and there were satin bower birds, king parrots and kookaburras. I could just paint on without having to stop to answer the phone, pick kids up from school or cook dinner (unless I was hungry). I read a book and drank moscato in the big spa bath. I think I should do this every year!

So, I revisited my notes from the Fabulous Faces & Portraits course I am doing with Willowing (Tamara Laport), and cracked open the acrylic paints and canvas. Happy is kind of an understatement ... I am really really thrilled with these paintings. I did them from absolute scratch (and let's just say, I'm really not great at drawing), and tried some bold colours. I think they work :D

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi

Wow, these look amazing!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful break.

Michelle :-)

Melanie said...

Beautiful work Dawn! I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough time...but I am glad that you were able to get some "decompression" time in. We all need that sometimes. :)