Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Makeover!


My painting association, the FDAA, is holding a new competition called Trash to Painted Treasure. What we have to do is find something to paint, and turn it into a real treasure with paint! We can get our piece from a council pick-up, op shop, garage sale or just a good scrounge around in our own garage.

I found my piece in my own garage. It's the Barbie wardrobe my Dad made for me in 1980. It's made from nasty old chipboard and had an awful 70's decal on the front. The metal hanging rail inside and hinges were terribly rusty. Yeah ... it was time for a makeover.

I decided it should fit with the 'Altered Art' theme of the FDAA for the Quilt & Craft show exhibit this year, and also that it should be bold and pretty. So my Princess Pointy Shoes has been enlarged and given some little tweeting friends, and she will grace the front of this little cupboard.

Today I finished the front of the door panel, but I still have a way to go with 5 other panels to complete. Everything has taken longer than expected ... for example it took 2.5 hours to remove the old rusty hinges!!! But I will get there with another late night and full day of painting :D

The Quilt & Craft show is on at Darling Harbour, Sydney from 10th-14th June, and all the Trash to Painted Treasure entries will be on display. Personally I'm hoping for the People's Choice award, so come along and cast a vote for me :D

1 comment:

Anna K. said...

What a neat idea! I can't wait to see the finished product!